APPROACH TO PRECONSTRUCTION SERVICES
Preconstruction planning and procedures are critical to starting any project “on the right foot”. These include a thorough understanding of the Owner’s intent, Owner’s expectations, the schedule and timing, and the budget for the project. Through project comparisons and historical analyses, the BUILDM team produces a design-phase schedule that includes critical dates and identifies the Owner’s program intent and budget. Construction Managers uses skills and knowledge of construction to develop cost models and estimates for the site and building components, and to study labor, material availability conditions and local market conditions. This focus on planning and scheduling allows for the identification of critical long-lead items and achieves milestone dates. In accordance with the Owner’s program requirements, updates of this information are communicated to the Owner and project team members by way of periodic reports.
BUILDM’s preconstruction staff includes employees from all operating departments: estimating, project management, site development and finance. This combination of talent and Experience provides real-time multi-faceted analysis throughout the process and expedites the construction management activities.
APPROACH TO PRECONSTRUCTION SERVICES
Experience has shown that an early and creative analysis of major project goals and assumptions can reveal alternative approaches which may allow for a more creative approach, a more cost effective solution, or simply result in a more functional design. An important part of our services is an in house ‘value engineering’ analysis of project goals and parameters to identify opportunities to optimize the aesthetic and functional qualities with the most cost effective solutions. BUILDM implements this approach by studying material selections, equipment, operating systems and design features.
BUILDM assists the architect and consultants in completing the design process. Design reviews are performed for program compliance and content, quality, budget, and schedule conformity. BUILDM also performs constructability reviews and life-cycle costing. These steps are accomplished by meeting with each of the various design disciplines and, as appropriate, introducing select, key trade contractors for specific considerations.
DESIGN BUDGETS | ESTIMATES
BUILDM prepares detailed quantity takeoffs under the direction of and with members of the design team, then reviews current project estimates and budgets for validity. Information relating to all levels of quality, time frames, unique project requirements, and working conditions and constraints are factored into the estimate.
DESIGN DEVELOPMENT PHASE
- All cost items detailed by trade and supplier bid packages with general scope identification
- Qualifications, assumptions, and allowances
- Excluded work, if any
- Temporary construction activity identification and quantification
- Site development budgeting
- Alternatives for comparative decision-making (cost saving recommendations for review and approval by Owner, Architect and Design Professionals)
CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENT PHASE
- Establish trade bid packages
- Prepare the cost estimate framework at 50% CD’s, refining the Design Development budget and scope, final contract dollar amount established
- Establish bid date review to reach and establish cost/contract amount plus fee
- Finalize selection of alternates and allowances
- Finalize project specifications
- Finalize cost reductions
DESIGN & PRECONSTRUCTION PHASE
- Dollars saved by value engineering
- Dollars saved by constructability review
- Time saved by advance packages or procurement
- Comparison between initial project budget and actual bids received
- Design phase positive performance
- Ideas that contribute to lower Owner operating costs